Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Thing #4 - Commenting


Commenting... It promotes communication via technology, which forms social relations between people who are interested in the same topic as yourself.  By actively participating in one blog, you can potentially create a hypothetical path back to your own blog for anyone who is interested in more of what you have to say. 

Especially when it comes to learning, sharing ideas is very important.  It is even more important when it comes to virtual communication.  Since the person isn’t present, words are everything on a blog (unless a picture or video is posted, of course).  People need to feel connected, even on the internet.  A response of any kind can make a world of difference to a writer or a reader.  

I appreciated Drape’s Takes’ commenting advice: give readers a sense of validation.  In other words, don’t ignore their comments.  If I put a lot of thought into responding to someone, it’s nice that I’m recognized or noticed (especially if I feel very passionate about the topic).  It also makes me feel connected, like I’m actually talking to someone instead of just talking to myself.  Also, I liked this quotation from CoolCatTeacher: “We have a need to disagree with each other - a need to discuss things of importance.”  I also liked this one for teachers: “Children have a need to converse and will improve their performance when people comment on their work.”  Feedback is wonderful.

Here recently, I've commented on seven different blogs:

Riley Braem: Mr. Braem's 23 Things

Melissa Suss: Mrs. Suss' 23 Things

Lynn Torres: Prufrock and Roll - 23 Things

Esther Yum: Esther's 23 Things

Courtney Comperry: KHS Chemistry 23 Things

The Little Reader Library

Silly Eagle Books

Mostly, I found something I had in common with the blogger and I commented on it.  For example, Riley Braem stated that theatre is naturally playful, and I agreed because of my background in the performing arts.  Courtney Comperry loves creating goals, and I love making to-do lists; also, she's a self-taught knitter and I'm a self-taught crochet-er... 

I enjoyed looking at The Little Reader Library blog page; it is a book review blog that discusses anything from historical literature to young adult fiction.  I commented that I understood the overwhelming need to want to read everything in sight.  Sometimes it's hard to slow yourself down and just concentrate on what you're reading in the moment.  Silly Eagle Books is a blog page that posts recent children's book findings at the local goodwill and other unique places.  Sometimes the blogger posts pictures of extremely old and rare books and what they are about.  She mentioned that she was going to slow down on the book buying, and I commented that I needed some advice as to how that is possible... I have quite a collection myself. 


1 comment:

  1. I took the reading of Drape's Takes in a different way. I read some of the people's comments to the writing. One said that bloggers who comment are "protecting their turf." I wish I could see it like that, or otherwise.

    ReplyDelete