Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Thing #3 - Ways to Use a Blog

Hmm... I'm still trying to wrap my head around the concept of a blog, let alone how I'd use it in the classroom.  However, I checked out some examples and I really like the idea of using it to help students understand the concept of reading a play.  Students were told to create a blog as if they were writing from the character's point-of-view.  This encouraged the understanding of character development.  Later, the students added pictures of themselves in the play when it was performed.  It was very creative.

I'm wondering if the same concept could be applied to reading a classroom novel.  It might be fun to have the students pick a character in the book (or maybe have everyone use the main character) and blog as if they were that character.  Then they could get connected with the characters as well as gain some blogging experience.

Hmm... I'm not sure.  I'm still working on it.

3 comments:

  1. Wow that's a really cool idea! Never even thought of that. I would like to be an English teacher and perhaps I could use that exercise too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great! I'm glad someone else is interested. I'm very interested in sharing ideas about different books to read in the classroom, and how to incorporate those books into fun classroom activities.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that is a great idea. You could create one blog and have each person blog as the character so that it would all be in one location. I think that would be a fun exercise for your students. I think that would be a great read as a fellow teacher.

    ReplyDelete