Monday, January 20, 2014

Thing #1 - Lifelong Learner

I love learning.  When I was a little girl, I couldn't wait until my first day of school; now as a graduate student, that hasn't changed.  I guess I've always associated the word "learning" with words like "exploration" and "discovery."  Learning is always a big adventure.  That's why I believe that the easiest lifelong learner habit for me is number one: begin with the end in mind.  When I'm about to tackle a new project, or read a new book, I always like to conceptualize what I'm going to create or discover.  I'm a planner, so beginning with the end in mind is almost a no-brainer for me.

However, the hardest lifelong learner habit for me is a combination of number four (having confidence in yourself as a competent, effective learner) and number six (using technology to your advantage).  I always begin with so much enthusiasm; but that usually starts to decline when I'm faced with something that makes me feel like I might mess up what I've worked so hard to accomplish in the first place.  For some reason, starting over and "ruining" everything is a very daunting thought, and that usually happens when a computer is involved (or a copy/fax machine).  I'm always afraid that I might push the wrong button, or delete something by accident, or not be able to pull up a document that I know I've saved (...or I thought I'd saved).  Instead of treating the computer like an aid, I tend to ignore it because I don't have the confidence to give it a try.

I plan on changing that habit this semester.  I'll use the easiest habit for me, beginning with the end in mind, to say: by the end of this semester, I will have the experience of navigating through different instructional technologies that can only help me grow as a teacher.  Oh, and I can't possibly mess anything up.  Messing up is just another way of learning something new.  Even if I do have to start something over again, what's the harm in a fresh start?  

2 comments:

  1. Don't be afraid of the technology. Just hit save a lot! there are very few things that cannot be corrected quickly. It is a great tool to use especially with your future students being so tech savvy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very, very true! My goal is that, by the end of this semester, I will not be afraid of technology. Period.

    ReplyDelete